Homeowners in the Carolinas have the good fortune of easy access to clean water. This provides an opportunity to focus on purification methods to enhance water safety. Wonder how better-quality water can improve your day-to-day life? Take a closer look at the benefits a water filtration system offers your household.
What are the benefits of water filtration systems?
Water quality can vary by location, and knowing more about the water in your area can help you determine which type of water filter will work best in your home. If you’re curious about the possible contaminants in your water supply, the EWG Tap Water Database is a good place to start.
In addition to improving drinking water safety, there are several reasons to consider adding a water filter to your plumbing system.
Here are several water filtration benefits:
- Safer drinking water. Whether you have a well or get water from the city, there may be minerals, impurities, and chemicals in your water supply. Adding a filtration system to your home’s plumbing removes the natural sediment, chlorine, and ammonia from city water. It can also filter harmful minerals, like copper, arsenic, and lead, and bacteria and viruses from well water.
- Cost savings. If you buy bottled water to avoid the poor taste of your home water or to avoid consuming harmful chemicals or minerals, imagine the monthly savings a filtration system can bring.
- Plumbing protection. Water that is heavy with minerals, called hard water, can lead to mineral buildup that clogs or corrodes your pipes. Filtering out the minerals is easier on your plumbing and saves your back from cleaning up excessive soap scum and calcium deposits on plumbing fixtures.
- Healthier skin. Hard water and chemicals are harsh on your skin and can cause dryness. Left untreated, the irritation and dryness from hard water can create rashes or other skin conditions. Removing the chlorine and hardness from your home water supply can lead to softer, healthier skin.
- Cleaner clothes. Because hard water prevents soap from lathering properly, it’s more difficult for your laundry machine and dishwasher to clean your clothes and dishes effectively. A whole home water filtration system helps appliances clean more easily while using less detergent. It also prevents problematic mineral deposits from clogging your laundry appliances.
- Enhanced taste. Have you ever visited a mineral spring? Remember the strong smell, something like rotten eggs? That was from the minerals in the water. With a simple filtration system, you and your family can enjoy water free from unpleasant smells, tastes, and discoloration.
Related Content: to be tankless or not to be tankless, that is the question
Types of filtration systems available
While there are different types of filters on the market, you’ll find that most whole-home filtration systems combine several filters to provide the best efficiency and water filtration for your home.
Here are some of the most common filters:
- Reverse osmosis (RO). What is a reverse osmosis system? And how does a reverse osmosis system work? RO systems use pressure to force water through a semi-permeable membrane. This process removes toxins such as fluoride, arsenic, and radium.
- Activated carbon. As water flows through an activated carbon filter, chemicals, minerals, and bacteria bind to the filter, clearing the water. This type of filter is economical and easy to install. Because it doesn’t pick up heavy metals, the filter works best alongside other filtration methods to maximize effectiveness.
- Mechanical. These are often used in well water filtration systems for pre-filtration. Because mechanical filters remove sediment but can’t remove soluble contaminants, they’re often combined with other filter types to ensure the cleanest, safest water for home use.
- UV. This filter uses ultraviolet light to kill bacteria and viruses. It also works best with other filters since it can’t remove particles or minerals.
Expert water filtration installation in wake county
You use water every day. Why not make your cleaning easier, your skin softer, and your water tastier? The benefits of reverse osmosis water systems or activated carbon systems will enhance your home’s plumbing and your family’s life.
At Yellow Dot Heating & Air Conditioning, our team specializes in water filtration system installation. We’re here to help you if you need professional installation or repairs for your system. To get started, give us a call at 919-925-4235 or request service online.